[CAUT] Steinway verdigris

Susan Kline skline at peak.org
Fri Jan 7 19:41:11 MST 2011

On 1/7/2011 5:49 PM, Horace Greeley wrote:
> That said, I think that almost all of us have instruments out there of
> which we are (at the very least) less than proud.  I've got some real
> stinkers I'd like to have back, if for no other reason than to set
> fire to them.  What matters, I think, is what we learn from a given
> situation and how we incorporate whatever that learning might be into
> our future work and understanding.

No doubt, if you did set fire to them, the oil and wax would burn
miraculously well.

I tend to be on the cautious side with any but the most horrendous
instruments -- on the one hand, I have fewer pianos that I would prefer
to burn; on the other, not daring to make as many mistakes probably
slowed and obstructed my learning. It's a slow and high friction way of
working. My best learning experiences have come from someone thrusting
an emergency into my hands, and giving me very little time to resolve it.

Susan