[CAUT] Building humidity now, GREAT!

joel a. jones jajones2 at wisc.edu
Sat Jan 8 08:43:12 MST 2011

Ron,  & list

My fight for building humidification started in 1974 when I came to
UW-Madison to a five year old building.  We had 12 pianos from Europe
(Gr Steinway, Bechstein, Bosendorfer) that were pronouned untplayable,
not staying in tune, and a waste of state funds. Bos Imperial, and 2
Gr. Steinway
in concert halls that were rapidly loosingfavor as a concert piano
with loose
  tuning pins, warping, etc....
       We did the following:
	1, Borrowed a thermo-humidigraph which tracked the heat/humidity
for one week,  This gave us a visual line of the changes for one week.
We moved the graph to various rooms to get an idea of how each section
of the building was reacting.
	2. We then made these charts available to the School of Music
Director and met with the administration and the University HVAC people.
The meeting were cordial and sympathetic with promises to  look into
the
situation and get back to us. Did the building have humidifiers on the
heating units?  Well....take a look at the blueprints.
	**3. THE MOST IMPORTANT action we took was to find the person
in charge of the screwdriver that regulated the system in the Humanities
building, and take him to lunch.

After our lunch with George we had humidity.    Nothing changed until
George
TURNED THE HUMIDIFIERS ON  !
	Subsequently we discovered that the reasoning behind not running
  the  humidifiers was to save energy by not running two systems-
heating and humidification.

During the next few months we quietly made the faculty (singers,
woodwinds, etc)
aware of the changes.   They became very vocal about the
improved,stabilized humidity
from their perspective.   Soooo, when HVAC people discovered that the
building
was using less heat/energy it was obvious that they were saving  money
by
producing a higher , stable humidity level  - they became believers.

This action also saved our building from the energy crisis in '78 when
it was
ordered that the heat was to be turned off during the night and week-
ends
in all state buildings.   Other UW campuses did not fare as well.

Champion humidity.   It's definitely worth the effort.

Joel
Madison, WI

that t