[CAUT] Steinway verdigris

Horace Greeley hgreeley at sonic.net
Sat Jan 8 16:36:11 MST 2011

Hi, Roger,

At 03:10 PM 1/8/2011, you wrote:
>Hi Horace,
>                    Years ago there was no standards for coal
> burning fire places in homes. and industrial smog was the norm in
> industrialized cities.

Right.

>   This pumped a lot of sulphur into the atmosphere, combined this
> water vapor, and it will produce sulfuric acid ( H2SO4).  The
> copper component of brass combined with the acid, produced
> anhydrous copper sulfate (CuSO40, hence the green gremlins.

AH..._and_, during that same period, S&S was still casting their own
plates, heating the plant with dunnage from their own saw mill,
dipping the side edges of the cut hammer felt into potash solutions
(variously KOH, or KNO3), as well as using sulfuric acid in different
parts of the plate-making process, etc, etc....hadn't thought of that
it some time...Thanks!

>This would also help to explain why these pianos work well on the
>Canadian Prairies, where there was no industrialization back then.

Indeed.

>Unless we know the environmental history we can only guess.

It would be very interesting to do some soil analysis of the land in
and around the plant in Astoria, especially around the old
foundry.  When I was first there (in the late 60's), even in the
Summer time, the ground around the foundry was crunchy from the build
up of all the nitrates/ites that had been dumped there.

Thanks, Roger!

Best.

Horace