[CAUT] Humidity Damage

Dennis Johnson johnsond at stolaf.edu
Mon Jan 10 09:41:57 MST 2011

Hi all-

By way of quick follow-up to this and the concurrent thread on humidity, it
seems to me there are at least 3 different scenarios of this problem.
First, that of having a climate control system in the first place. Second,
that of having a system and using it properly (turning it on) and lastly,
that of an unforeseen malfunctioned system that otherwise had been set up
properly.  Insurance companies are usually rather specific about what is and
what isn't covered in any issued policy.  It's hard to imagine coverage for
damage in either of the first two situations, but if evidence can be
documented in support of both a malfunctioned system and nearly simultaneous
instrument damage, and the policy allows for that, then there should be a
case IMO.  I can imagine such coverage would presume a reasonable effort to
correct such problems also.  It's likely a tall order to meet all these
criteria but if they are,  I think I would pursue repairs costs for cracked
soundboards, popped strings and warped keys at least on the more delicate
historical instruments.  That's just my 2 cents...........  As our
discussion shows, by far the most common problem situations are related to
obtaining the proper equipment and using it properly as directed.

best,

Dennis Johnson