[CAUT] HVAC codes - piano stability

itunepiano at aol.com itunepiano at aol.com
Tue Jan 11 17:57:03 MST 2011

 Dear List,

I contacted the Department in Florida regarding our building codes not requiring humidifiers in HVAC systems.  The codes in Florida contain max RH levels, but not minimum RH levels.   I received the following response:

Mr. Maret:

This is a followup to our conversationabout his issue of humidity in certain types of buildings under winterconditions.  As I mentioned, anyone can propose  a change tothe Code, but a code change cycle is not open at this time. For informationon how to propose a code change go to the following web address:  http://www.floridabuilding.org/cm/cm_faq.aspx. As you will see, we are currently 2/3 of the way through the processto put a "2010" code in place by the end of 2011. The next cycleshould open in early 2013.  I also mentioned that you or any associationyou belong to probably should get involved in the American Society of Heating,Refrigerating and Air-conditioning Engineers (ashrae.org) and/or InternationalCode Council (iccsafe.org) update processes. These are the base documentsthat Florida's code relies on for updates.  Again, if I can be offurther assistance, I can be reached at (850) 488-0964.

Ann Stanton

Bob Maret
University of Central Florida