[CAUT] Steinway verdigris

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Wed Jan 12 12:28:51 MST 2011

	From a number of things raised in this thread, I am wondering whether
the source of much of these issues may lie in "Tropicalizing." Many
manufacturers tried to make their instruments so that they would hold
up in very humid tropical climates, including such things as adding
brads to help hold key buttons on keys. Dipping wooden parts (without
bushings, as Horace attests) makes sense if you want to make the wood
relatively impervious to moisture, less likely to swell and warp. You
would also expect they might add something to the felt bushings for
the same reason: impervious to moisture, not intended as a lubricant.
And various levels of additives might be used for instruments destined
to different climates. Hence the variety of experiences we have with
instruments of the same vintage. (Another wild card being what various
techs may have added over the years). It makes some sense, anyway.
Doesn't get us much closer to the actual materials causing the problem.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
fssturm at unm.edu
http://www.createculture.org/profile/FredSturm