[CAUT] How much voicing on new NY hammers/ Re-visited

Paul T Williams pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Fri Jan 14 10:14:15 MST 2011

Hi Kent and all,

I quite discouraged with the set of factory hammers for one of our D's we
discussed a couple months ago.  I've had to juice them several times all
over.  I still don't like the tenor and killer octaves all the way up to
C-7.  They're hung nice and straight, but for fun, I moved the action in
and out a small amount (like2-4mm) to see if the killer area was going to
need altering in the strike point.  Not much happened, so they stay where
they are.

Of course, they haven't had a lot of playing in yet.  I get so-so fff and
the ppp is pretty good.  I don't like much of anything inbetween except
the middle 2 octaves and bass.  It's just weak sounding. String mating is
good and regulation is great, so it's either that these aren't a great set
of hammers, or the soundboard has some issues (this piano is from the 80's
or early 90's)  It was a C&A piano, so it's got a different serial number,
but that's what Richard West says, and since he was here, that's what it
is...

I might consider trying some Hamburg hammers sometime, but I'll really
have to think long and hard about getting another NY set.

What about y'all?

Paul