[CAUT] How much voicing on new NY hammers/ Re-visited

Ed Foote a440a at aol.com
Fri Jan 14 10:30:40 MST 2011

>>I quite discouraged with the set offactory hammers for one of our D's we discussed a couple months ago.  I'vehad to juice them several times all over.  I still don't like thetenor and killer octaves all the way up to C-7.  They're hung niceand straight, but for fun, I moved the action in and out a small amount(like2-4mm) to see if the killer area was going to need altering in thestrike point.  Not much happened, so they stay where they are.

Of course, they haven't had a lot ofplaying in yet.  I get so-so fff and the ppp is pretty good.
What about y'all? <<

 These hammers need to be hard as a rock at the core, at least.  Without a concrete foundation down there, the felt is too soft to produce much sound.  The trick is to get them juiced down deep in the hammer.  Often, I think techs are a bit conservative with the juice at the beginning, and the center of the hammers doesn't get a dose up front.  Then as more and more juice is added to build power, the outer surface becomes too hard for good tone before the deep center felt has been hardened.
    I think the best sounding hammers from New York are the ones that are soaked sufficiently on the first pass. Playing in hasn't happened here very often, the hammers needed a lot of juice just to get started.
Regards,

Ed Foote RPT