[CAUT] How much voicing on new NY hammers/ Re-visited

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Fri Jan 14 14:04:43 MST 2011

On Jan 14, 2011, at 11:24 AM, Mark Dierauf wrote:

> Are these the new maple hexagonal S&F's or the round ones? Pre-'84
> or NY Improved? Getting ready to order shanks myself and in a
> quandary as to which manufacturer's parts to use.

Precision check: octagonal, not hexagonal. Everyone says hex, but they
are wrong. I don't think anyone ever made a hex shank. They start
square in cross section, then the corners are machined, leaving 8
angles and 8 sides. The difference for Steinway would be that the
round ones are actually conical, tapered somewhat, which makes them
stiffer I think. The octagonal are parallel, at least to the best of
my knowledge. There might be a bit of weight difference. Otherwise, it
is the same production process.

Regards,
Fred Sturm
fssturm at unm.edu