[CAUT] How much voicing on new NY hammers/ Re-visited/WNG glue add-on!

Ed Foote a440a at aol.com
Fri Jan 14 17:00:27 MST 2011

> As far as I know, they've always used hide glue.
> Ron N

>>One thing I would like to know though, should anyone have real
information instead of an arbitrary guess, is what they mix with the
glue to color it more like maple to hide the sloppy glue application. I
always thought it was a pretty slick dodge, considering the anal
retentive attention to becket alignment and such among technicians, that
no one seems to mention the mopped on glue collar on the shank. The
joint works just fine without it, of course, but I still find it
interesting. Hide glue isn't that color, so there's some sort of magic
invisibility stealth dust involved. Anyone know what?

  I don't think it has all been hide.  I saw a set being hung at the factory, and there was some glue that was put on about an
octave's worth of shanks at a time, and then they were dropped in the jig.  I don't remember a heated glue pot.  And
there are some 1960's vintage S&S that seem to be glued with some type of plastic glue. It doesn't respond to moisure
or heat.
Ed