[CAUT] Puzzler

Paul T Williams pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Mon Jan 17 11:57:22 MST 2011

How are the wippens?  gunk in the spring grooves?  My first guess.  Do I
get another??

Paul

From:
Dennis Johnson <johnsond at stolaf.edu>
To:
College and University Technicians <caut at ptg.org>
Date:
01/17/2011 12:25 PM
Subject:
[CAUT] Puzzler

Hi-

I got time today to share a problem that I don't remember encountering
before, and it had me scratching my head for a bit to figure out.  Last
Friday I was doing final regulation pass on a S&S B action job with new
shanks and hammers, backcheck leather, key bushing, and key frame felt.
Centers were all repinned as necessary also. While going last time through
let off I noticed one note in the middle was inconsistent. Press the key
slowly once and let off was just right.  Press a second time and let off
was way off.  Play the note, check again, and let off is good.  Check
slowly now and it's way off.  Immediately I looked at the let off button
felt, which seemed slightly loose so I reglued it securely and tried
again.  No change.  By quick visual inspection everything looked fine with
the parts.  Know what it was?

Dennis.