[CAUT] Stuart & Son on NPR

Ed Sutton ed440 at mindspring.com
Wed Jan 19 03:53:53 MST 2011

That's why I wrote "As I recall." I was uncertain of the exact details
anymore. Also, as I recall, they said the partial retrofit was done that way
because the structure of the Baldwin didn't allow the agraffes to fit all
the way across the bridge. But that may have been my misunderstanding or
their miscommunication. They did seem to be saying that the agraffes would
eventually be offered for retrofit installation.

On a more general note, I would comment that "longer sustain" is not
necessarily an unlimited good thing for piano tone. Most piano music was
written with the characteristics of piano sound in mind, and does not sound
good on a Hammond organ. Malcolm Bilson argues, rather well, that Mozart
cannot be played as originally intended on a modern piano, which is not to
say he says you should not try, if that's the piano you have.

Like Malcolm, everyone should have 6 or 7 pianos to choose from.

Ed Sutton