[CAUT] Bridge Materials and Design

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Wed Jan 19 15:01:51 MST 2011

On 1/19/2011 2:58 PM, Ed Sutton wrote:
> My point is that while they may not be ultimate and optimal, they were
> adequate enough to make some kind of music, and may still be.

Yes, I understand. Bamboo may not be the ultimate material either, but
it's often a superior choice to what we're *used to*. And that's my
point. We grade on the curve, from a very tiny localized data set, and
build backward detailed justifications from our coarse observations.
It's nearly impossible to interpolate cause from effect without a whole
lot of data about effects from different causes to weed out the cold
fusion and N ray stuff. In this case, we don't have a pool of alternate
conditions to draw from. The tuning thing is very similar. We get
farther and farther into the details of what we presume to be existing
truths without exploring a different starting point to see if we're in a
blind alley. Everything we know and everything we do is subject to this
kind of revision at every moment of our lives, if we're willing. It's
time consuming and cuts into profits, so it's a difficult thing to accept.

> By the way, Ron, your suggestion to just "throw" the tuning onto the
> piano is the most helpful single sentence I've read about tuning. Thank
> you.

Thanks Ed. I found it to be a real waker-upper. Glad I could help.
Ron N