[CAUT] Stuart & Son on NPR

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Wed Jan 19 20:59:22 MST 2011

On Jan 19, 2011, at 7:18 PM, Edward Sambell wrote:

> What of the effect of no downbearing load? And side bearing of the
> bridge pins exerts a twisting forse on the bridge. Alfred Knight
> recognized this in his verticals; the bass bridges have the bottom
> half of the bridge pins leaning at the opposite angle.
>
> Ted Sambell

Yes, lots of variables, especially with the no downbearing design. The
termination and coupling differs in many ways, including no more
twisting force as you describe. It is entirely metal rather than wood
and metal. Entirely horizontal rather than captured in a acute angle
between a metal pin and wood. Coupled between two horizontal fixtures
rather than two angled vertical fixtures.
	The patent Ron posted is quite interesting in that it emphasizes the
production value of the invention: a fixture stamped out of sheet
metal and bent, with the addition of up to three rods either round or
part round. Saves the time and effort of marking out, drilling,
notching, installing bridge pins, replacing it with marking and
screwing a fixture to the bridge top. Stringing is far easier than
with an agraffe that requires threading: just string normally and
install the down pressing rod. All in all, a way to make pianos more
inexpensively. One of thousands of such ideas, most of which have
virtually disappeared.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
fssturm at unm.edu
"I am only interested in music that is better than it can be played."
Schnabel