[CAUT] Steinway D

Delwin D Fandrich del at fandrichpiano.com
Fri Jan 21 23:11:36 MST 2011

Yes. Cut a groove with a die grinder and an appropriate carbide cutter and set an appropriate rod in the groove. I have used unhardened steel drill rod and aluminum bronze, both 1/8” dia. The drill rod is harder, the aluminum bronze is a bit more lubricous. It takes a little finesse on the die grinder but it’s not rocket science. The rod should be epoxied in—I added iron powder to the epoxy to provide a stronger, more dense base for the rod.

I don’t like making the V-bar (actually more of a U-bar) harder than the wire but I like it pretty hard. I’m not a fan of extraneous string noises so I like to have a nice, clean termination that doesn’t easily get chewed up. I believe, but have made no attempt to prove, that the drill rod V-bar surface helps to create a slightly more efficient termination of the speaking length of the wire.

ddf

Delwin D Fandrich

Piano Design & Fabrication

620 South Tower Avenue