[CAUT] Steinway D

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Sat Jan 22 13:45:36 MST 2011

Well, when you consider laying out new rib arrays, making new bridges plus
transitions, drilling for vertical hitches, adding bass floats, cut off
bars, belly bracing, establishing new counterbearing angles, hand polishing
new agraffes (still don't do that actually), then grinding down a strut and
adding a rod seems like a throw away in terms of added time.  If I knew of
some way to establish whether that's a problem or not I would not hesitate
as I think it may very well have as much importance as any of those other
features.  There seems to be enough people who have thought about it or who
are commenting on it that I am suspicious.  But since don't make it worse is
still my mantra I would be interested to know how those who do think about
these things assess it and make a decision about whether to address it or
not.  Also, how hard is too hard?  Does this 7'Baldwin that I work on that
seems to break strings all too frequently under the heavy handed pianist who
plays it have a capo that is too hard perhaps?

On a slightly related matter I've always like the Boesendorfer termination
system at the capo.  A massive strut with relatively short counterbearing
lengths that seems to never have problems with leakage, falseness or other
tonal anomalies.  What is the hardness of that contact point, if anybody
knows?  I have no doubt that mass and counterbearing length are important
factors there as well.  It reminds me of a story that the late Sheldon Smith
told me some years ago about Neil Young's piano that he worked on.  It was a
Steinway B and he claimed to have done a retrofit on the capo bar adding a
couple of massive metal bars to the sides of the struts to increase mass.
He claimed it really boosted the sustain and clarity in that section.
Perhaps somebody on list works on that piano located somewhere in the San
Francisco Bay Area and can comment.

David Love
www.davidlovepianos.com