[CAUT] Steinway selection trip

Ed Foote a440a at aol.com
Sat Jan 22 14:53:32 MST 2011

>>It appears I may be going along to choose a D and 2 B's in February.

What should I know about? Answer privately if you like.

Kent Swafford

Greetings,
As a tech, if it came down to a choice between two pianos,(let the pianist decide which ones they like, first),
I would take a look at the clues for ease of maintenance, as in, are the shanks over the cushions?  Can you "see"
through the action?  Is the trapwork lined up, or as is not uncommon, all slightly askew?  How many front pins
are nicked?  how many punchings are there under the felts?
Some of the hard to deal with things down the road can be sensed early on, and overall alignment is one of them.
The evenness of the let-off buttons will give an indication of how consistent the whippens and shanks are.
   As far as sound, I have learned to be suspicious of overly bright, new pianos.  I have to remind myself to listen
objectively to the fifth octave almost as a stand-alone voice, since I usually try to accomodate the rest of the piano
with that octave's nature.  Some boards simply boom up there, others seem to be straining to get much out.
   I don't know what the reception is for a tech  showing up with a screwdriver in hand and gleam in eye,
but Kent, I am sure you will be able to get a look inside the finalists, otherwise, why be there?  You may
be inheriting some responsibility by being in the selection process, so I recommend as close a look at them as
allowable.
Regards,
Ed Foote RPT