[CAUT] Steinway selection trip

Donald McKechnie dmckech at ithaca.edu
Sun Jan 23 13:39:38 MST 2011

Kent,

I have been involved in three trips to the factory for selection. I
echo Ed's advice and also encourage you to talk to the factory folks
to see if you can come in early before everyone else arrives. All
three times I was allowed to stop by the factory before the arrival of
the professors. Having the time, without distractions, to look at the
pianos is important. When asked by the professors which one I liked I
would always say "I'll tell you later when you start to narrow down
the choices." I'm happy to say that in each visit my choices were
pretty much on par with the professors.

During the breaks in the selection process, we moved the pianos to
different positions in the room to see if the professors could still
find the ones they liked. Most of the time they did but sometimes
there can be surprising differences in sound and tone. They now have a
little toy in the selection room that can alter the acoustics to
mirror a small concert hall, a larger hall, a very large cathedral
like space, etc. It is fun to play with but I'm not sure it helps very
much in the final selection. All in all a great educational experience
and fun too.

Regards,
Don

Don McKechnie