[CAUT] Neckties R us

Ed Sutton ed440 at mindspring.com
Tue Jan 25 07:32:39 MST 2011

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Jim Busby
  To: caut at ptg.org
  Sent: Monday, January 24, 2011 10:30 PM
  Subject: [CAUT] Neckties R us

  All,

  A short while ago (I won't mention when nor whom) a world famous quartet performed here and I tuned the piano. About 5 minutes before the house opened one of the performers came up to me with a rather frantic sounding plight "I forgot my tie! Please, do you have one?" "I'll get you one" I told him.

  Now think. What would you do?

  I went out the door and standing in line was a very well dressed young man and his date. I spoke quietly so others couldn't hear "Excuse me, but the performer just realized that he doesn't have a tie. How about loaning him yours?" The fellow smiled and said "Sure. Here!" I could tell he saw the humor in it. The cute girl with him giggled and squeezed his arm.

  In the Green room I handed him the tie. He asked in his fairly good English "Do you know how to tie it?". "Sure." I tied it, helped him straighten out his collar, etc. then I smiled and told him "You're just like my son, only younger." He grinned big, held my eyes for a moment, then went on stage.

  With all the tension that comes with along tuning for world famous artists sometimes moments like this help me relax and enjoy the human side of things.

  Jim Busby

  Gray haired CAUT