[CAUT] adhesive dot

Kent Swafford kswafford at gmail.com
Sun Jan 30 14:14:59 MST 2011

The list of problems that needed looking into on one of the concert pianos had gotten a little long this week.

This morning I investigated a damper that didn't seem to be coming off the string properly to let the string vibrate freely.

The attached photo shows what I found. This is only one of the reasons I dislike adhesive dots in pianos.

Pianists claim complete empowerment when it comes to inside-the-piano performances. My concern is that these are multi-use pianos, and a dozen other pianists may have tried to perform on this piano between the time the dot was lost under the damper and the time I pulled the damper to figure out what was wrong. If I say anything, I will be assured that the dots were small, were all removed, and couldn't possibly bother anyone. Right.

Kent