[CAUT] pinblock material, drilling speed, feed rate ?

Dr. Henry Nicolaides drsnic4 at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 30 14:47:35 MST 2011

Hi List,

I am curious as to what is being used due to a problem I
 recently have experienced.  I have a delignit block that has been
around in my store room a couple of years.  When I started drilling as I
 had previously, the bit seized as I approached the bottom.  Ugh! I
thought it may be cue to an older bit so I used a new one.  Thought it
may be the heat so I hooked up my cold air system.  Thought it may be
feed rate or speed or bit...but still seems to have a tendency to
seize.  I'm using test material off the cut block to try an figure this
out.  I did with success drill some test holes on a hard rock maple
sample and also a Bolduc block.  The belts to the drill press are not
slipping either.

Any suggestions?  Thoughts?

Henry Nicolaides
Piano Technician