[CAUT] pinblock material, drilling speed, feed rate ?

Jim Busby jim_busby at byu.edu
Mon Jan 31 10:16:44 MST 2011

All,

I've done it this way for many years now. (Thanks Ron) This is really THE only way that works 100% of the time w/o compromising the hole in any way. It is so easy. It's so brilliant, yet few seem to do it. I guess two passes is too much work?

Jim Busby

On 1/30/2011 9:39 PM, Dr. Henry Nicolaides wrote:
> I'll try slowing down to aproximate that speed and drill a few test
> holes...perhaps 1250 rpm was too fast. It's been awhile since I drilled
> delignit. I think the last one I drilled I made two passes...first with
> a smaller bit and half way into the block and then with the normal bit.
> BTW, do you use a brad point or sprial bit?

something like 0.015"-0.02" smaller than your finish size. Then do the
second pass with the finish size - regular jobbers bit. Throw away the
high helix. You'll get a more uniform result with less trouble than
anything else you've ever tried.
Ron N