[CAUT] Grinding plate counter-bearing

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Tue Jul 26 13:33:13 MDT 2011

On 7/26/2011 11:11 AM, Don Mannino wrote:
> I have a little project I need to work on, and thought I would ask for
> some advice. I need to grind the treble counter-bearings off of the
> plate of a piano in a customer’s home.

Wow, Don,
Little project? And people think I'm crazy! How big a debris field is
involved in a medium size project? Oh, and that's desecrating a feature
too, you realize. Contrary to the intent of the manufacturer, whatever
that may have been.

>I am hoping someone here has a
> good suggestion for which tool works best to give a clean removal that
> stays relatively flat. I would like to avoid screwing up the plate
> finish nearby, and leave a flat surface that I can put a half-round on.

In the shop, with no tuning pins, I use a small angle grinder with the
coarsest wheel I can get, followed by a carbide burr in an electric die
grinder, followed by filling the cast in low areas with an
epoxy/grinding dust mix, followed by right angle pneumatic die grinding
with a coarse sanding disc. Coats everything in the shop with graphite,
and still takes most of a day total, and requires extensive plate
painting and shop cleaning afterward. There's a considerable amount of
iron in some of those counter bearings. If someone knows of an
elliptical 1/4" shank burr that'll eat cast iron like 40 grit through
spruce and make chips instead of dust, I'd love to know about it. What's
the brand of piano, and why the project?

> Keeping in mind the need to do it in the home, any suggestions? Dremel
> with a specific tip, maybe?

Not much power available, and I don't know if Dremel makes a wheel or
disc suitably coarse and tough. You could grow old sitting there buffing
molecular layers

I don't think I'd consider this little project for outpatient surgery
unless they're willing to pay for a whole bunch of hours (days) making
both minimal mess, and progress.

Ron N