[CAUT] Grinding plate counter-bearing

Overs Pianos sec at overspianos.com.au
Tue Jul 26 15:07:47 MDT 2011

Hi Don and all,

Its pretty hard, but not impossible, to get a really good job with
the plate in the piano. Brent's suggestion of some sort of dust
extraction system is a must, if you're doing it in the home. A useful
tool which may work for the dust issue is a small powered dust
collector (the type you might hook up to a 1 or 2 hp drum sander) if
you have one. Grinding cast iron is a dirty job because the free
carbon in the cast goes everywhere. When I have to do a job in a
clients home which requires extraction, I use a single phase dust
extractor (5" inlet diameter) with the collection bag removed. My
single phase dust extractor is one of those cheap and nasty Chinese
made things which originally had a 4" inlet diameter, and will flow
practically nothing as a stock item. I fitted a revised inlet plate
with a 5" diameter inlet, with a generous radius as the 5" inlet
opens up to meet the impeller blades. The inlet and outlet safety
mesh was also removed, since this also kills air flow. These measures
have significantly increased the air flow. I take along enough 5"
duct so that I can place the dust extractor outside of the house
while running the duct to the immediate vicinity of the work. I use a
microphone stand with masking tape to hold the end of the suction
hose right at the dust creation source. With a few sheets spread on
the floor it is possible to contain almost everything.

If you want to avoid damaging the plate bars, a few layers of masking
tape on all adjacent plate surfaces will give you good protection
against "oops" moments. Very often the surface of the plate on which
the cast-in bars are mounted will have depressions in the cast which
may need to be filled to provide continual support along the length
of the new bar. I have found the tone quality will be effected if the
bar has to span any depressions. However, car body filler is quite
satisfactory for filling the depressions, should this be necessary in
your particular case. You can also do spray repairs in the home
provided that the fume extraction set up is used as described above.
This may be necessary if depressions have been filled.

We just removed the front duplex bars and fitted continuous
counterbearings to a Yamaha CF we rebuilt. I made a new set of
counterbearing bars from ground stock, profiled and hardened them,
with an EN plated surface to prevent corrosion. I'll be photographing
this piano over the next few days, since the piano will be for sale,
should any of you like to see some images of the finished product. We
are asking A$120K for the circa 2000 Yamaha CFIII. It was a total
make-over with a custom balanced set of Abel premium hammers, revised
counterbearing bars with re-profiled capos, new agraffes, a
rib-extended soundboard and my 1990 designed Steinway model D bass
scale. The CF has the same bass scale speaking lengths as a model D,
so the custom D scale fits perfectly. I am quite happy with the
result.

Ron O.

--
OVERS PIANOS - SYDNEY
    Grand Piano Manufacturers

Web http://overspianos.com.au
mailto:ron at overspianos.com.au

A web page with images of recent work and almost-audio-CD quality mp3
sound files of the Overs piano can be found at;
http://overspianos.com.au/more_info.htm

So put on your headphones, plug them into your freshly restarted
computer and sit back to over 20 minutes of pure piano.