[CAUT] Interesting

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Wed Jun 22 15:24:51 MDT 2011

I’m not a fan of turbo wippens if they can be avoided.  All of those 1970’s pianos will require a switch to 17 mm knuckles when replacing parts (at least I haven’t met one that didn’t so far).  Sometimes a capstan move is required as well.  There was a between period after they went to the accelerated action but kept the 16 (or 15.5!) mm knuckle position and it was pretty much a disaster with 7 or 8 leads in the lower part of the piano and high touch weights as you report along with high inertia.  Nasty things to play in spite of the adaptability of most pianists.

Once you are able to determine the match for leverage and hammer weight you’ll likely be able to avoid the turbo wippens.  Look for someone who is teaching Stanwood methodology in KC.   It’s really the most direct method of analyzing this stuff but a grounding in action analysis the “old” way is also a good foundation as it tells you much about how the action will regulate.

David Love

www.davidlovepianos.com