[CAUT] loose drops

tnrwim at aol.com tnrwim at aol.com
Wed Nov 9 21:56:45 MST 2011

If it is within warranty, call them for replacements. But in the meantime you can successfully size the hole with CA glue. I would take the screws out, spray them with mold release, apply CA glue to the hole screw in the screws, and spray with accelerator (I like the aerosol kind). You may need to repeat given that they are as loose as you describe.

Alan McCoy

Thanks to al that have replied. I did a variation of what Alan suggested.

I took the drop screw out, sprayed the hole with the accelerator, and then applied a very small amount of CA glue to the thread of the drop screw, and put it back in. I let it sit for a minute, and then screwed it all the way back up. The CA glue was enough to fill the hole, and by loosening it up right away, it broke the glue joint, but left enough of it in the hole to make it snug.

I needed to do something right away because I'm rebuilding this Steinway and it needs to be ready by next week Friday. Waiting for Steinway to send me replacement parts would not work, even if they will give me the flanges for free. (It takes almost 6 to 7 work days to get a package here from the East Coast.

Wim