[CAUT] Knoller's rules for tuning

Horace Greeley hgreeley at sonic.net
Tue Oct 18 01:19:12 MDT 2011

Hello, Laurence,

At 07:20 AM 10/6/2011, you wrote:
>About 1740-42, someone living in Charleston, South Carolina, ordered
>from London 'Knoller's rules for tuning'. Can anyone identify this,
>presumably a publication for keyboard players?

Admitting that this is a huge reach, I think I remember reading a
brief mention of this in an article on pianos/piano tuning (possibly
in the Broadwood entry) in:

The Edinburgh Encyclopaedia

"Conducted by"

David Brewster

The version I have is the American Version, published by Parker and
Delaplaine, 1831.  It's been in archival storage for years and isn't
really accessible, or I would gladly check this out.

I do realize that this is a long shot, and suggest the possibility
only because the title rang a bell from studies I did a long time ago.

In any event, I hope this is at least marginally helpful.

Kind regards.

Horace