[CAUT] Yamaha Exchange program; pros, cons

Jerry Groot tunerboy3 at comcast.net
Thu Jun 7 16:05:56 MDT 2012

My college did this for 17 years or more.  Each year, we were getting
between 30 & 35 new pianos brought in.  At first it was a good deal all the
way around.  "Free pianos to use for one year but for the cost of the
tunings."  Sales were up, so the dealer sold a lot of units every year
during their yearly sale and of course, the college saved a considerable
amount of money in repair work, literally thousands of dollars.

We did not do it with Yamaha.  It was another brand.

While getting new pianos every year does have its upside, a warranty being
one positive thing, there is a downside to it.  Dealing with all of the
issues that continually crop up every single year with new pianos.  One
problem we encountered most of the time, were pianos that were being
delivered totally un-prepped.  Often, uncrated right on the spot..  You know
what that means.  A lot of extra work!  Major pitch raises and a lot of prep
work.

We also encountered frequent problems with the pianos.  Things from bobbling
hammers to blocking hammers 6 months later, to sticking keys and loose
hammer heads and butts.  Of course we also had pianos where the tuning
changed rather quickly due to being brand new.  Consequently, I had dozens
of emergency calls, one after the another until I could work through all of
the problems.  Then, the pianos were sold and it started all over again the
following fall.  That got old fast!!!!!

We never had a real chance for the pianos to settle in.  They were delivered
the last week in August and school is out the 2nd week of May.

As the economy took a nose dive so did sales.  Toward the end of the sale,
the rules changed for the college.  To save money, they were made to pay for
a lot more things other than tunings..  That's all I'll say about that.  Due
to that however, I talked them into ending the sale.  We chose to purchase
over 26 new pianos and some digitals.  It was still a win-win for the
dealer.  But, for the college, I'm not so sure.  They spent tens of
thousands replacing them.

On the flip side though, in my opinion we are better off with pianos that
are "being seasoned" and pianos that I can get to know permanently.  Pianos
that I can fix and pianos that will stay fixed because they are not rotated
yearly.  Plus, they hold tuning a whole lot better now!

I wouldn't recommend it, but then, we didn't have Yamaha's either...

Jer