[CAUT] New S&Sons hung hammers

Dennis Johnson johnsond at stolaf.edu
Fri May 18 06:44:30 MDT 2012

Hi David,

Thank you for the info and reply, and I will certainly consider all this.
I know of the piano you speak from LA that was a joint project between
Anderson and Erwin.  Awesome piano! We played it during one of our piano
shopping trips last summer and it is currently on it's way to Minnesota. We
loved the piano but weren't really looking for D's so we commissioned a B.
A local private customer of mine ending up buying the piano for his home.
He's also got a Mason & Hamlin CC coming also.  It remains to be seen how
both of these will fit in his home, but that's another story.

In the past I tried to avoid moving capstans thinking this was part of an
inherent geometry (in a good pianos) we should respect by matching knuckle
dimensions and adjust hammer weight accordingly to work with that.  In
recent years I've ended up using 17m shanks more as a standard procedure,
as I believe lots of us have.  Sometimes that means moving capstans as my
last project on a 1911 S&S M.  This piano now has 17m shanks with more
modern weight hammers and .420" dip that feels great.  Decades later, if
tastes change and someone desires it can always be changed back.

warm regards,

Dennis Johnson
St. Olaf College