Piano lab

David Porritt dporritt@sun.cis.smu.edu
Sat, 01 Oct 1994 09:20:12 -0500 (CDT)

At SMU we have 2 piano labs, one Baldwin about 4 years old, and a Roland
new this past Summer.  I have asked Sam Holland, head of our piano labs,
about his experience with these labs.  He, naturally, made quite a project
out of the selection process.  He is extremely happy with the Baldwin lab
and thinks it is the most "elegant" system of all the possibilities.
While Baldwin is not the big player in the market - number wise - he
thinks it is at the top of the list.

The Roland system is likewise very sophisticated and capable.  The only
negative of the Roland system is it's need for a hardware sequencer.  The
MT200 has some limitations.

He said the Kurtzweil as young in this market and the classroom controller
didn't seem very elegant and he feared not very reliable.

He generally likes Korg products - except for their piano labs.  He has
picked up negative reactions from some colleagues at other schools.

Yamaha, of course, is Yamaha.  Their service is great etc.  He had nothing
negative to report on their product or their service.  It just wasn't on
the top of his list.

I hope this helps.  Sam doesn't have an e-mail address at the school or he
would have responded directly.

dave porritt
SMU