My SAT Temperament

PHIL SLOFFER, MA067 855-1244 PSLOFFER@ucs.indiana.edu
Tue, 11 Oct 1994 06:05:38 +0000 (EWT)

Hello to all,

Just for fun.

I have had my Sanderson Accu-tuner for a couple weeks now.  I
have tried tuning with it in several ways.  For me, tuning from
A0 through C8 does not work so well.  I don't like the idea of
tuning and not checking as I go and if I start on A0 I can't
check anything until I reach the middle.  I also prefer to set my
temperament first. My usual way of setting a temperament, jumping
around 4ths and 5ths, is awkward on the SAT.  So I came up with a
chromatic temperament.  Give this a try and see what you think.
I don't necessarily use all the checks I have listed.  Also I
didn't put beat rates in because I think you know what they are
or at least what you want them to be.

With this temperament I can check each note as I tune from the
beginning with both the SAT and the notes I have already tuned.
Also I used the same way of writing notes that are used on the
SAT.  Ax=Bb and dx=Eb and Gx=Ab etc.

Have a nice day :)

     Note      Tuned to       Interval/check

1    A4        SAT

Hold note down button until you get to d4.

2    d4        A4             5th

Hold note down button until you get to G3

3    G3        d4             5th

Use pedal switch to change note to note up to Gx4.

4    A3        d4,A4          4th,8th

5    Ax3       d4             3rd  (Bb-D)

6    b3        G3             3rd

7    C4        G3,A4          4th,6th

8    Cx4       A3             3rd  (A-C#)

9    dx4       Ax3,b3         4th  (Bb-Eb)

10   E4        G3,A3,b3,C4,A4      6th,5th,4th,3rd,4th      Check
                                                             3rd
12   F4        Gx3,Ax3,C4,Cx4,A4   6th,5th,4th,3rd         inside
                                                             6th
13   Fx4       A3,b3,Cx4,d4        6th,5th,4th,3rd

14   G4        G3,Ax3,C4,d4,dx4    8th,6th,5th,4th,3rd

15   Gx4       Gx3,b3,Cx4,dx4,E4   8th,6th,5th,4th,3rd

Touch Octave down button to get to Gx3

16   Gx3       Gx4,F4,Ex4,Cx4,C4   8th,6th,5th,4th,3rd

Change direction of pedal switch to go down note to note.

17   Fx3 then F3 and so on down to A0

Then go to Ax4, change direction of pedal switch and tune up to
C8.

Phil Sloffer                psloffer@ucs.indiana.edu
Indiana University School of Music at Bloomington IN