Steinway Parts

John Baird, RPT 71023.2217@compuserve.com
Wed, 19 Oct 1994 02:03:09 -0400 (EDT)

The recent exchange comparing Steinway parts to Renner (and Abel) was
very valuable for me.  It was an education, and I was glad to hear the
opinions of those who do more of this work than I.

I recently worked on two Stwy Ds which both need new hammers desperately.
I used (anonymous) excerpts from these Pianotech postings to support my
recommendation to the owners that they consider something other than
genuine Steinway parts for these pianos.  There's still such unquestioned
reverence toward that name.

The owners want the best for their instruments, of course, and were glad
to be made aware of this difference of opinion.  They were also impressed
with the my access to such a discussion!

I agree totally with Danny Boone's reminder that we are guests here on
Pianotech and should abide by their rules of conduct.  For the most part
that conduct has been exemplary.  Some of those who made the comments
that caused others to complain, also made some good points about the value
of the give and take that occurs here.  Since then I have seen the
apology of a complainer, as well as efforts by "offenders" to control
phraseology.  I think this is a commendable outcome and reflects the
maturity of the people involved.

John Baird, RPT