Report from NYSCON

Danny Boone Danny_Boone@BAYLOR.EDU
Wed, 19 Oct 1994 10:34:29 -0600

Don McKechnie presented a great program for the College & University
Technicians Forum at the recent New York State Conference.  His topic was
using FileMaker Pro software for service records, inventory, etc.  Although he
claimed to not be an expert in FileMaker Pro, he certainly has designed one of
the best programs I have ever seen.  (We use FileMaker Pro extensively here at
Baylor.)

The small attendance of seven reflected the very small registration at NYSCON
this year.  Those who attended benefited greatly from this fine presentation.
Don will have an E-mail address in about a month, and I'm sure he would be
glad to answer any questions you may have concerning this software.

Nick Smith and Paul Kupelian did a fine job as co-chairmen of this year's
NYSCON with an unbelievable line-up of instructors, and an exciting schedule
of activities.  (Well, some of the instructors were believable.)

The small attendance at various seminars around the country is becoming a
serious concern for PTG.  The unofficial registration figure I heard at NYSCON
was 45 technicians (paid registrants).  In the early days of PTG, REGIONAL
meetings were held in various parts of the country to provide a learning
opportunity for those who could not attend the national convention and
institute.  There are no regional seminars or conferences anymore that
correspond to our regional organization; instead we have about eleven state or
area seminars for our seven regions.  For example, in the Northeast Region
there are three conferences:  NY, New England, and Pennsylvania.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what could be done to improve this
situation?