Protocol for Subject Field

Michael Wathen 556-9565 Michael.Wathen@UC.Edu
Mon, 31 Oct 1994 08:41:00 -0500 (EST)

Did I spell protocol right.  Thanks for the feed back.  I will call my help line
and see if they can give me some answers.

My Software, or the University's is called All-in -One.  In my situation there
is really no need for an off-line reader.  Message are automatically delivered
and they are right there when I boot up  in the morning. The messages are saved
automatically and I can scan them for relevance by the Subject field.  I suppose
you could say it's your tax dollars at work because I don't have to worry about
paying for the service.  I can access it from any unit that has a modem so that
I'm able to browse and respond at work as well as at home.

I believe that the listserver that pianotech uses also archives all of our
posts.  You might even have the capability of retrieving a thread of the Subject
field.  At any rate, you can retrieve a digest ( which is a collection of posts
over a fixed period of time) and then browse through them  by just looking at
all the Subject fields.  This brings me to my point: I think we are well served
by always making sure that our subject fields our consistent with the contents
of our particular post.  No one wants to keep collecting the posts and holding
on to them forever in the event that we may wish to recall something.  The
listserver can do this much better than we can.  Maybe three years from now I
run out of my supply of Nuepert quills that I've had for the last ten years and
I wish to find a new supply.  But, Oh yes, I remember a few years back there was
a discussion of that on the Pianotech Listserver.  I can do a search by just
browsing the subject fields and extract that which seems pertinent.  I think
that we should not take these subject fields lightly and that for the reasons
above we should make them as precise as possible.

Finally, I'm not sure about what I have suggested above with regards to the
properties and functions that the listserver can perform but the argument still
makes sense.

Michael Wathen
Cincinnati Chapter