Accutuners

Dennis Johnson johnsond@stolaf.edu
Tue, 13 Sep 1994 13:40:14 -0500

        It probably is clear that the question of tuning with or without an
electronic tool ultimately can never be resolved in debate, and it
certainly is not the first time that a division rose between those who
endorsed a new or different method and those who are quite comfortable with
the old and see no reason for change. Fortunately, none of us are on a
mission to convert and clearly it is not for everyone. In a not to
frequently cited incident in 1811 two journeymen at the Broadwood factory
actually fought a duel over the correct method for tuning pianos
(presumably some variety of mod. meantone vs. well temperament).  A little
passion is good, but....   Anyway, it is worth clarifing that these
testimonials by concert technicians who use the SAT are comparing their
experiences both before and after they got the machine, as opposed to those
aural tuners who have little or no experience with the SAT. If there is
some skilled aural tuner who then invested the time to become fluent on the
SAT, but eventually, for whatever reason, decided leave it and return to
the old method, this would be an interesting story.  As is however, these
recommendations alone should be more than enough argument for anyone
without SAT experience to take seriously the potiential benefits of the SAT
when it is used correctly.  But since these testimonials are free, we have
very little at stake in your ultimate choice. "Just try it, you might like
it".
         The issue of dissatisfied customers is a touchy subject.  We are
afterall a group of skilled concert tuners who take pride in never having
dissatisfied customers.  And considering how unlikely it is that I shall
ever have a customer with higher tuning standards than my own, this is
simply not a problem.   It is not fair to equate using the SAT with
dissatisfied customers because in practically every case that would be a
fault of the technician, either by misusing the machine or by failing to
address a misunderstanding of the customer.   In our long-term effort
toward educating the public about the proper use and possibilities of
electronic tools,  I only ask that everyone, those who choose to use it or
not to use it, for whatever reason, please not perpetuate false myths or
misunderstandings about its use for your own short-term gain.

Dennis Johnson
St. Olaf College