Service and rental policy

PHIL SLOFFER, MA067 855-1244 PSLOFFER@ucs.indiana.edu
Thu, 15 Sep 1994 06:02:56 -0500 (EST)

Hi All

The following is what we send to all the dorms and other dept on campus
who have pianos or might rent one from the School of Music.  Most rentals
are handled by the Conference Bureau for use by what ever group has made
the request.  We will rent to anyone who wants to pay the price but since
we are not the cheapest we dont rent much outside the university.  As far
as I know the money goes to the general fund.

Phil Sloffer
Indiana University School of Music
Bloomington IN

++++++++++++++++

                        INDIANA UNIVERSITY PIANO SERVICE
                        MA067
                        Bloomington,IN 47405
                        812-855-1244

The following is a list of piano service charges for the 93-94 school year.
If you have any questions or concerns please contact Stephen Shaver,
Supervisor of Piano Technology.

Tuning.....................$45.00
Pitch Change* and repairs..$31.00 per hour

Rental of School of Music Pianos

Upright....................$75.00 for up to one week + Tuning and Moving
Small Grand...............$150.00 for up to one week + Tuning and Moving
Concert Grand.............$200.00 for up to one week + Tuning and Moving
Tuning for rental..........$60.00 Tuned and checked before delivery and
                                  touch-up tuning after piano reaches
                                  destination.

* Due to atmospheric conditions or prolonged neglect it is sometimes
necessary to raise or lower the pitch of the instrument in order to
stabilize it for tuning.

All orders must be accompanied by an account number and a contact person
at the location of the work to be performed.

Suggestions for piano care:

1. Regular maintenance intervals provide the best protection for the
   instruments.
2. Try to maintain uniform atmospheric conditions.  Extreme fluctuations in
temperature and humidity leave the tuning of the instrument very unstable.
3. When it is not possible to maintain a reasonably stable atmosphere,
systems are available which can be installed in the instrument which will
provide the proper levels.
4. Abuse, not use, is a leading cause for repairs.
5. One of the leading causes of abuse is accidental spills of drinks and
food into the piano. Try to discourage food and drinks on the piano.
6. Report any spills or other problems as soon as possible. Spilled liquids
can cause ongoing damage.