Future of Fandrich Co.

Lewis Surdam surdam@husc.harvard.edu
Mon, 03 Apr 1995 13:49:23 -0400 (EDT)

Phil,

Most of the problems originate from the rep spring which is too delicate
for the kind of work it does. They are a pain to regulate and frequently
work their way out. Once out, if the playing is hot and heavy they have
about as much a chance of survival as a squirrel on the expressway at
rush hour. Replacing mangled ones is time consuming and if the spring is
just a little out of adjustment the note plays poorly, if at all.
Rebounding hammers and no backchecking are problems that all of us here
have unsuccessfully taken turns trying to solve. Each one of our
instruments is essentially a prototype and I now regret not having waited
longer before purchasing 4 of them. I could write pages on the trouble we
have had.         Lew