Mason&Hamlin's Future

Israel Stein istein@world.std.com
Tue, 04 Apr 1995 18:22:59 +0059 (EDT)

It just so happened that I had a tuning a few blocks away from the Premier
Piano retail store in Boston, (which, by the way, is the old Falcone
retail outlet location) and so I stopped in. I got the following
information from Peter Murphy and Wolf Flippen, who are the owners of
Premier:

Premier Piano is now in complete control of Mason & Hamlin which is in the
process of reorganization. The company (M&H, not Premier) is currently in
Chapter 7 bankruptcy and they are moving it to Chapter 11. (Maybe someone
out there who is familiar with the terms can explain them - I've always
been too broke to afford bankruptcy proceedings. Otherwise I'll look them
up as soon as I can load my new Legal software).

Their plans are to continue building Masons in Haverhill, MA and they
hope to hire back 20-25 key employees from the original Mason/Falcone
workforce. There currently is no time frame for this - it depends
entirely on what kind of settlement can be reached with the creditors and
how much money needs to be raised to satisfy  this. They intend to plow
all the profits from Premier into M&H.

They are looking for support and ideas from the piano technicians
community and from the PTG and anyone interested in contacting them can
do so at (617) 542-4525. They should soon have internet access.

I so far haven't been able to reach anyone who was at the meeting Bill
Ballard was asking about, so I can't as of yet perpetuate any rumors...

Israel Stein