white ivories with no seams

Tcoates@aol.com Tcoates@aol.com
Sun, 09 Apr 1995 16:22:30 -0400

Does anyone do much ivory repair?

I service several Steinways that have developed chipped ivory keys.  These
tops have next to no sign of a seam between the head and the tail.  Are these
seams beveled?  If so, which way?  They are beautiful on the orginals, but I
can't find a way duplicate them.

Getting all the keys the same color depends on matching the old and new.  The
old tops on one set seems to be an off white and I can't get the old and new
to match.  I have heard of using bleach on the old to make them whiter.   Has
anyone done this before?   Any other ideas?  Is this a lost art?

I prefer to do the work myself, not send them off.  I have no trouble with
most ivories, but these stump me.

Tim Coates