Pianotek Hammer Softener

Ron Torrella torrella@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu
Mon, 10 Apr 1995 10:25:37 -0500

On Sun, 9 Apr 1995, David Porritt wrote:

> Actually the orriginal post was a question about a hammer "softener"
> rather than "hardner."  I have never used the one from Protech but you can
> make some good softener with 1 part of "Snuggle" fabric softener and 7
> parts of isopropyl alcohol.

When using fabric softeners or detergents of any sort as hammers
softeners, one must be certain that salt (sodium chloride) is not among
its ingredients.  Many--if not most--detergents have salt.

I've found that a mix of sodium lauryl sulfate (which can be found in
most college/university chemistry stores and, I'm told, in some drug
stores) and acetone works marvelously to soften just about any hardener.
The one hardener that it fails to work on is _time_--that is to say,
hammers that have gotten hard and crusty over many years.

Ron Torrella               "Ideal conversation must be an exchange of thought,
School of Music           and not, as many of those who worry most about their
University of Illinois    shortcomings believe, an eloquent exhibition of wit
                    or oratory." -- Emily Post, Etiquette