Hammer softening

stanwood stanwood@tiac.net
Wed, 12 Apr 1995 12:43:25 -0400

> My goal is
>always a hard core and a soft surface.  That way a hard blow punches
>through the soft felt and gives a bright forte.  A light blow gives a
>darker color.  Certainly many would disagree with me.
>
>Dave Porritt, RPT

I couldn't agree with you more.  Those who would disagree with you are
missing the point of voicing which is to give the pianist different tone
color at different volume levels, a "tonal palette".

I've often referred to the distance into the felt were the hardness goes
from soft to hard as the "Gradient Zone".

While we are on the subject I've generally found that lighter hammers need a
deeper gradient zone and heavier hammers require a shallower zone.  Therefor
lighter cold pressed hammers work well.  Hot pressed hammers are better
suited to heavier hammers.

If any of you run across light hot pressed hammers which sound horrible in
the pianissimo range try a light shot of steam.  I use a presto electric
teapot.  Remove the metal flap covering the lid.  Get a good head of steam
up and with the action pulled out onto your lap, flip the hammer back into
the spout.  In and out quickly should be tried first.  The steam puts very
little moisture into the felt so it drys very quickly.  The effect can be
astonishing and its more perminant that needle voicing.

Be careful.

Stanwood