New kid

Mark Story mstory@ewu.edu
Fri, 14 Apr 1995 14:58:14 -0800 (PST)

>available to  grab hold of.  I seem to recall some sort of drill bit available,
>some what like a hole saw that just fits over ths size of the pin.. After
>drilling, fill and repin.  Is this anywhere correct and where might I find this
>bit, and what is it called? Also, what would I use to fill the hole, perhaps CA
>hot stuff (green) or dowell material (from pinblock material?) How would I
>obtain a dowell strong enough, if not from pin block stock, and how would I
>reduce size of material to fit the hole?? Any help appreciated.  Thankx

The tool you are looking for is actually a type of screw extractor.  I saw
it in a woodworking tool catalog like Woodcraft or Brookstone.  I had to
deal with this when my apprentice drove a pin in too far in a new bass
bridge cap.  When you plug the hole, be sure and make a plug from
quartersawn maple - not a dowel.  With a dowel, you would have a real chore
trimming and renotching the repair.  I would doubt the holding ablility of a
dowel too.

Mark

Mark Story, RPT

Eastern Washington University        |  mstory@ewu.edu