Removing broken off bridge pins

Bill Spurlock, RPT 74077.3053@compuserve.com
Fri, 14 Apr 1995 21:05:02 -0400 (EDT)

On the subject of removing a bridge pin broken off flush with the bridge, Larry
Brannin wrote:
> I seem to recall some sort of drill bit available,
> some what like a hole saw that just fits over ths size >of the pin.. After
drilling, fill and repin.  Is this >anywhere correct and where might I find this
> bit, and what is it called?

I addressed this question in the 9/94 PT Journal, page 12. I describe the
process there; but unfortunatally my drawing and sources of  tool were omitted.
Basically, you can use a "screw & nail extractor", which is a hollow tube with
hole saw-like teeth on each end. Use the 1/4" size, available from Woodworker's
Supply, 800/645-9292, stock #872-371, $11.95. These can also be found in many
other wood worker's supply catalogs.

Also on bridge pins, Ron Torella asked about tips for removing pins that are
epoxied in. Heat seems to work well. Just lay a hot iron on top of the pins for
a few minutes, then grab with vise-grips and twist to break them loose.

Bill Spurlock