Hammers for C5?

stanwood stanwood@tiac.net
Wed, 19 Apr 1995 06:46:10 -0400

>I have 6 Yamaha C5s that are ready for new hammers. Does anyone have a
>suggestion as to hammers that will work well on the C5s.  These pianos are 4
>years old and get played 10 to 12 hours a day.  My main problem with the
>Yamaha hammers (besides they are worn out) was keeping them voiced down.
>Any suggestions would be great.
>
>Thanks,
>Ken Merrell, RPT
>merrell@netnet.net
>Lawrence University

Ken,

A good set of New York Steinway hammers has the most felt and can work
wonders with the tone.  Be prepared to work a little on the voicing and send
the hammers back if the sets have been under pressed (too soft) or over
hardened with their patented shoulder hardener (too hard).  Many of us have
experianced trouble with Steinway hammers in the past, and they have had
problems in the hammer department but they seem to be straightening things
out and some great sets have been coming out lately.

David Stanwood