Listing on Internet

Israel Stein istein@world.std.com
Tue, 18 Apr 1995 18:03:49 +0059 (EDT)

On Mon, 17 Apr 1995 drose@microcity.com wrote:

> Dear John (Baird)
>
> I feel very strongly that as much information be made available to the
> public as possible. I would like to see the list sorted by
> State/Province, area code, last name, first name, address, and telephone
> number(s).
>
> I would agree that anyone who wishes not to be listed should have the
> right to remove ALL INFORMATION. This would simplify the choice--either
> be listed or not be listed.
 >
> I believe PTG will already send this information to anyone who asks for
> it. If it is not an issue for PTG it should not be an issue on the
> internet.
>
> Hoping to see this list as soon as possible
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Don Rose, RPT (drose@microcity.com)

I beg to disagree. There is a big difference between making the
information available to someone who went through the trouble of finding
the PTG - calling the Home Office - asking for listings and any bozo with
a computer/modem/software that's been netsurfing... I suspect that posting
a full listing of RPT's and their phone numbers on the 'net is liable to
result in a large volume of nuisance calls. RPT's should be given the
option to decline being listed. The PTG should either conduct a snail-mail
poll to find out who wants to be listed and what they wish to have listed
(no response should be deemed as "don't list me") or postpone the listing
until the next membership renewal period, when this poll can be
incorporated in the renewal form.
 I can just see RPT's who don't know anything about this listing - and
therefore have no opportunity to refuse being listed - starting to get
phone queries about piano prices or do-it-yourself projects (anyone been
reading rec.music.makers.piano lately?) from netsurfers who found their
phone number on the 'net...

Israel Stein