Samick Grand Bass String ...

Ron Berry ronberry@iquest.net
Sat, 22 Apr 1995 09:22 -0500 (EST)

>It must first be determined where the strings are breaking. Is it in the same
>place each time? If so and that spot is at either the agraffes or Capo bar I
>suggest
>restringing and replacing either agraffes and /or resurfacing Capo bar. This
>should cure your problem. I had a Kawai gs-70 with the same problem and
>restrung over 6 months ago and no strings have broken since. There were
>always several broken at each monthly visit and it wasn't from playing hard.
>Try it you'll like it!

I had a Samick that was creating strange buzzes in the bass.  Another
technician had already twisted most of the strings but that didn't solve it.
I decided it need new bass strings, and in restringing it I found that the
agraffes were loose.  That is they turned past where they needed to be if
they were tight to the plate.  I had to add shims under many of them the get
them tight.   Haven't had a problem since.

Dick Elrod told me that we can order, lower tension bass strings from Mapes.
I suspect that they are running the tension very high to get a bright sound.
This sounds similar to the set of "happy strings" they Kimball people will
send you in a similar case of breakage under heavy use.

Ron
Ron Berry, RPT (Registered Piano Technician)
ronberry@iquest.net

Check out the Piano Page at http://www.prairienet.org/arts/ptg/homepage.html
for some great information and links about pianos!