Strike motion ratio

Tcoates@aol.com Tcoates@aol.com
Sat, 22 Apr 1995 13:10:04 -0400

Thanks to David Stanwood for reposting his cooperative work on leverage.  I
have found it to be invaluable.

I would like to see a reposting of his work on strike motion ratio for others
who didn't see it before.  One portion of the strike motion ration I have
found to be extremely important is the shank ratio.  It is a ratio we can
change easily if it is wrong.

When this was first posted I was installing wippens, shanks, and hammers on a
1909 Steinway short A.  It was a great time to study specs.  Needless to say,
there wasn't much to change in specs on that action.  But a friend was
rebuilding a newer Steinway action that had been incorrectly rebuilt by
another technician.  Come to find out the shank ration was way off.  Once
corrected everything fell into place.  I have found this to be the case more
than once.

Tim Coates