Samick Grand Bass String Breakage Part2

Larry T. Brannin 74651.1154@compuserve.com
Sun, 23 Apr 1995 08:58:50 -0400 (EDT)

After reading a few replies it dawned on me that I had left out one rather
important detatil about the breakage.  The strings are broken 99% of the time
BEFORE we get there.  In other words, we aren't the ones breaking them while
tuning, it will happen while they are playing.  I am sure anyone can hit a key
with enough force to do most anything to a piano, but these people in these
churches are not concert artists who slam the keybed with the force of an
elephant (Dino comes to mind here).  They WILL hit it rather hard, as the
minister says"When the Spirit moves them."  I just feel they are not hitting
with any more force than an artist, yet we continue to have the strings being
broken between each tuning.  I felt that by now these poeple may have gotten so
upset with me that they would call someone else.  So far they keep calling me
and I have no answers for them other than to replace the broken ones. Now they
are breaking the NEW ones again.  Some how this points to a problem I can't
solve. To refresh anyones mind this is not just one isolated piano, this is
happening to me at two different churches, in two areas. Both are SG172's and
both have more than 15 strings each that have broken.  Any help?