Samick string breakage

MITCH KIEL 75317.2074@compuserve.com
Mon, 24 Apr 1995 16:00:48 -0400 (EDT)

      I too know of a Samick grand that likes to break bass strings. It's a
Samick-built Kohler and Campbell SKG 600. Since its purchase two years ago it's
broken 4 different bass strings (2 last weekend). What makes this so curious is
that the player is 6 years old (yes, six). He's a real prodigy and admittedly
plays hard. But still...
      My store manager and I are trying to figure out what to do. Our initial
conclusion was that there must be agraffe problems, and that I should de-burr
the agraffe holes with abrasive cord before replacing all the bass strings.
After reading about the similar problems experienced by others here on
PianoTech, I  contacted Samick to see what they have to say. Richard Elrod said
that all mfgs have isolated problems with string breakage, and he knows of no
current systemic problems with Samicks. He concurred that de-burring the
agraffes was the best approach. He added that it isn't usual to replace all the
bass strings in a situation such as ours, but that he agreed to authorize this
work because the customer (and his parents) both became very nervous after the
most recent breakages.
      The family keeps both lids closed because the piano is loud and the house
is small, so I might also regulate for less blow and soften the hammers.
      I'll keep you all informed.

      Thanks to John Baird for the money saving tip on mail digests for
Compuserve users. It works. John, any tips for Macintosh Compuserve users on
using the Web ?
      Another question: could someone please tell me (again) the command to
send the listserv to view my own posts? A few months ago Ken Sloane told us the
command, which I tried unsuccessfully and have since forgotten. The Help file
the listserv sends out doesn't list it.

      Mitch Kiel