strike motion ratio

stanwood stanwood@tiac.net
Tue, 25 Apr 1995 14:35:27 -0400

John M.:

>Your post gave me something to think about with a couple of problems I've
>had with older and possibly highly modified S&S "D"s lately. One has new
>Renner/Hamburg reps on teflon shanks, something which seems always should be
>avoided.

What kind of problems?

>Another is a '68 D with new Renner shanks and  1990 NY hammers on the
>original reps. That one is more tricky because the  ratio should be LESS if
>I understand it correctly. I haven't had a chance to put my own theories
>into practice yet, but hopefully will soon.

Which ratio should be less than what?

>Yet another is a '56 D with 1987  hammer and shanks. It's OK, but doesn't
>feel "right" even if it sounds great. I'm working on that one... It's one of
>the models with the odd-coloured plates and gold-coloured dampers.

What's the average strike ratio?  What zone is the strike weight in?
What's the average balance weight?  How's the friction weight?

These questions should be answered for all three cases.
Only then can you draw meaningful conclusions.

David